Terry Preston's in-depth views on the pressing issues of the day, from God, sex and national politics to the high price of a good beer at the ballgame. Any and all comments to these comments are encouraged.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

More Perspective

Unknown said...
Bearing in mind that we are dealing in the realm of Myth... Your take on the Fall is tantalizingly close to Terry Gilliam's "Time Bandits". (You should get that for the kid, if you have not already.) I see the Fall somewhat differently...probably due to my residual Calvinism. I see the Fall as tantamount to diving into a 900 foot deep lake, having willingly donned a cement overcoat. This in spite of a large flashing neon sign that states: "Do Not Dive into Lake whilst wearing Cement!"


----------------------------------------------------

I remember "Time Bandits" a little bit, but not enough that I wouldn't enjoy seeing it again. I just returned the '50s classic Earth vs. the Flying Saucers to Netflix, and have The Angry Red Planet due to hit after "Spanglish." Leroy likes stuff like this, which proves yet again his sound judgment and good character, and being a solid chip off the old man's block.

"Earth vs. ..." was good fun. For one, it set up a lot of what we now consider standard sci-fi fare, like the bad guys knocking over national monuments for dramatic effect, and their space ships designed to having a grim and deadly personality of their own. The DVD's best surprise was a long retrospective on special effects guru Ray Harryhausen, who it turns out was a close friend of Ray Bradbury. But I digress.

Your Calvinist take on the Fall reminds me of my days working as a private security guard during college. It was guaranteed work for a 6,'2" presentable young African American male, at good hours and with no intellectual challenges to tire my busy mind before or after class. I'd stand there on duty right next to a big red "X" on the ground with a big sign right next to it screaming, 'FOR GOD'S SAKE, DON'T STAND ON THIS "X" OR YOUR HEAD WILL EXPLODE!!" With the sign, it makes you wonder why they needed a guard, eh?

I was constantly amazed at how many people would walk up, look at me in my little toy cop outfit, read the sign, look at the big "X" ... then try to stand on it. Or ask me, "you mean I can't stand here?" and look for my permission, just to see what would happen.

Which just reaffirms my belief that the whole "don't eat that fruit" thing was a scam, as set up. Not as good as the set up which caught D.C. mayor Marion Berry, but close. The critical difference is that Eve's set up was liberating, Marion's ... wasn't. (And Marion apparently is still trying to see the difference between right and wrong.)

No comments: