Terry Preston's in-depth views on the pressing issues of the day, from God, sex and national politics to the high price of a good beer at the ballgame. Any and all comments to these comments are encouraged.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Life and Death

It was about this time last year that my then-six-year-old son's pet rat died after we had him just a few weeks, and I've never found out why. He had a respiratory problem before we got him, that may have been it. My son found him and was trying to "fix" him after he apparently died.

When I asked my son how the rat died, he thought a minute before answering.

"He died from not being alive," he replied.

Yeah, that'll do it every time. Whoever finds a way to lick this problem and patents it will probably make a fortune.

Me, I've learned to be careful around this subject. In mid-2002 I was diagnosed with cancer (since successful treated). I vowed then that I would never leave this world until the San Francisco Giants won the World Series.

Three months later the Giants won Game One of the 2002 Series. I politely asked whoever wherever might have overheard my earlier vow to please reconsider.

No comments: